10 Cleaning Tips to Start Spring With Renewed Air
For some, spring cleaning is a rewarding experience. It gives you the opportunity to feel as though you have cleansed and purged your home from the fuzzy ghost of the winter. In addition, you may feel as though you have cleansed and purged your life. The old adage that a clean home is a happy home perfectly applies when it comes to spring cleaning.
Of course, everyone has their way of cleaning, their own methods and even their own secrets. But there’s a way with which everyone wins. We’re talking about green cleaning, naturally. With it, you won’t only be tidying your home, you’ll also be taking care of the environment in the process. So, what about home cleaning tips for spring that are actually green tips? Here you go!
Here are 10 green tips for spring cleaning.
- Alternatives to paper towels – Instead of using paper towels, why not try the old newspaper, vinegar and water solution for sparkling clean windows? When dusting, use washable cotton cloths instead.
- Make your own cleaning products – For healthier air quality inside your home, refrain from buying toxic chemical laden cleaning products. Explore methods such as vinegar and water, baking soda and lavender until you find an at home cleaning product that is non-toxic and meets your needs.
- Let the air inside your home. Open up those windows. Get all the stale air out as well as the toxins and pollutants that have been around all winter.
- Leave the shoes at the door – Have a special place set aside such as a shoe tray or cubby for everyone’s shoes. This will leave all the dirt and bacteria outside instead of bring it inside.
- Filter it – spring is the perfect time to check on all the filters in your heating and air conditioning units. The cleaner the filters, the better the air you breathe.
- Clean out your ducts – If your air ducts are grimy and full of bacteria, you can bet that you and your family are breathing that in on a daily basis. Get your ducts cleaned ASAP!
- Vacuum tips – Use a HEPA filter vacuum and don’t forget to vacuum your mattress and even flip it over.You might not know it but if you don’t do it, bacterias will start to pile up - right where you sleep!
- Replace filters in water systems – The purpose of a water filtration system is to filter out bad bacteria – you certainly do not want to disregard cleaning and changing that filter as this will only defeat the purpose.
- Don’t forget the basement – We all have a tendency to stuff our stuff down in the basement. Be certain to get rid of clutter first, as clutter can gather dust, mold, and even mites. Properly dispose of any unused paint and chemicals stored down there and address mold issues if there are any. The fumes from your basement may seep up into your living quarters upstairs.
- Appliances and Electronics – Don’t forget to take some time to clean out your refrigerator with hot water and soap and discard any foods or items that have been hanging around for quite some time. Take some time also to clean up your electronics by cleaning up your computer keyboard and mouse and your home phone as well as your house phone. These could all use benefit of a good spring cleaning.
So, there you have it. Ten tips for green cleaning your way through spring. What will you do next? Why not grab some homemade cleaning solutions and get busy with your green spring cleaning?
Don’t know how to make homemade green cleaning products? Do a little research on the Internet or go to the library, there are plenty of resources there.And let us know if you have any cleaning secrets you want to share!